Closing date: 21 July 2019
Operating entity: Secunda Synfuels Operations (SSO)
Department: Engineering and CM
Geographical area: Secunda, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Role category: Specialisation
ABOUT THE ROLE / PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Secunda Synfuels Operations (SSO) operates the world’s largest coal-to-liquids (CTL) facility and produces synthesis gas (syngas) through coal gasification and natural gas reforming, using Sasol’s unique and proprietary Fischer-Tropsch technology to manufacture synthetic fuel components, pipeline gas and chemical feedstock. SSO operates the world’s largest coal-to-liquids (CTL) facility and produces synthesis gas (syngas) through coal gasification and natural gas reforming, using Sasol’s unique and proprietary Fischer-Tropsch technology to manufacture synthetic fuel components, pipeline gas and chemical feedstock.
The purpose of the job is to translate and embed the Sasol Operational Framework in the electrical engineering area and continuously improve on the services as well as business processes within SSO.
- Translate and embed the Sasol Operational Framework in the electrical engineering area
- Translate the goals and medium term plans through effective two-way communication in the organisation
- Continuously improve on the services as well as the business processes associated with the electrical engineering function within SSO
- Identify improvement opportunities and implement improvement solutions
- Lead and manage interfaces and integrate business processes with other divisions within SSO (i.e. Operations, Production Planning, Business Development and Projects, etc.)
- Lead relevant internal and external stakeholder (e.g. consultants, licensors) engagements to ensure that the necessary level of technical support is provided within the technical area
- Lead the sourcing of discipline specialists when necessary
- Coach, mentor and guide the engineering resources
- Implement performance contracts for direct reports and manage their performance in line with Sasol’s performance management processes, principles and deadlines
- Ensure compliance to Personal Development Plans for direct reports
- Develop employees to their full potential
- Manage the development & growth of the electrical engineering ensuring planned training interventions is successfully concluded
- Ensure effective succession planning is in place
- Resource planning and ensuring organisational capacity within the electrical engineering unit as per the approved organisational structures through recruitment processes
- Accountable for employee wellness
- EE appointments as per SSO targets
In addition to a pre-employment medical examination, some positions may require a physical fitness assessment as part of the normal selection criteria.
- BSc (Electrical) or BEng (Electrical) engineering degree (Must)
- A Master’s degree in Project Management, Engineering Management, or Business Administration (Wish)
- A minimum of 12 years’ relevant experience (Must)
- Proven track of delivering the results through teams (Must)
- Proven track of satisfactory performance (Must)
- Experience in working with and influencing stakeholders is essential
- Conceptual and strategic development experience will be an advantage
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Takes accountability for driving own growth through developing self-awareness, reflecting, seeking feedback and self-correcting.
<span 10pt=”” style=”color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family:;”>Partnership Leadership
- Influential: Persuades and influences stakeholders; builds relationships and partnerships for win-win outcomes.
- Collaborative: Builds Teams and creates synergies through working across boundaries.
- Inspirational: Authentically and inclusively engages people to follow; leads culture transformation.
- Builds Talent: Builds capability and leverages diversity for competitive advantage.
Demonstrates commercial acumen, a global mind-set and exercises sound judgement.
Achieves results through others and holds them accountable.
- Sets Direction: Provides vision and direction aligned to One Sasol.
- Drives Competitive Edge: Leads organisational change, innovation and sustainability.
- Maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Provide services to follow a standard set in Sasol Operational Framework
- Provide input concerning best practices, lessons learned etc. to Engineering Centre’s of Excellence
- Execute the SHE strategy to achieve zero harm
- Identification, quantification and mitigation of process risks
- Manage and influence applicable environmental compliance studies and projects for Refining (sub-set of Technical Landscape)
- Behaviour Based Safety compliance
- Integrated Management Safety compliance
- Recordable Case Rate improvement / compliance
- Determine discipline specific focus areas
- Compliance with legal requirements
- Quality control of delivered services audited as required
- Enable safe and stable electrical infrastructure
- Establish electrical engineering specific standards, best practices and ensure compliance to these standards, including quality assurance
- Manage deviations from discipline standards when necessary
- Provide functional home for and develop engineer’s incl. talent management
- Provide centres of excellence for electrical power and electronic systems
- Provide maintenance management support on complex electrical systems.
- Interface management of electrical service providers
- Provide electrical classified specialist function for Synfuels
- Be the custodian of engineering technology management
- Act as an expert consultant on discipline specific topics group wide
- Assist in the selection of external electrical service providers by measuring their technical competence production
- Managing the electrical engineering technical landscape and technical performance through ensuring the development, alignment and execution of protection and improvement plans.
- Act on any electrical related matters that disrupt plant production plans or create safety risks
- Maintain the process operating envelopes to required standard
- Compliance with legal requirements
- Support the required design governance processes for electrical modifications
- Control and management of external study funds and professional services expenditure
- Provide process engineering support and input (as determined by the relevant project steering committees), such as:
- Process design (idea generation, conceptual, basic engineering as well as detail)
- Business case development including gate 1 approvals
- Participation in design and safety reviews
- Group Technology and/or EC’s and Operations (if applicable)
How To Apply: Apply Online